Industry Awareness Career Preparation Certificate
Below are course descriptions for the three non-credit courses in the Industry Awareness Career Preparation certificate:
Orientation to the Electric Industry
- Familiarizes students with today’s electrical industry and looks at the history of the industry and at those who played major roles in its creation, development, and structure.
- Familiarizes students with the three sectors of the industry and the roles of each and touches on deregulation, new technology and what the future appears to hold.
Renewable Energy Sources and the Smart Grid
- Examines electricity production from various forms of renewable energy and provides a survey of the function, operation, and vision of the smart grid.
- Reviews renewable energy sources including solar, the wind, tidal, geothermal and others are studied in detail, covering availability, dispersion, and methods of recovery, utilization, and integration into the Smart Grid.
Utility Operations Training & Procedures Group, Pepco Holding Inc.
Industrial Aptitude Test Prep Course
- Exposes students to various types of lessons and questions focusing on reading comprehension, mechanical aptitude, spatial aptitude and general mathematics that they will face in an Industrial Aptitude test.
- Designed to help the student discover their strengths as well as their weaknesses.
- Results in better test preparation by building the self-confidence and help avoid “test anxiety” that causes low test scores.
All courses are:
- 8 – 12 contact hours